On this page you'll see some images of the maintenance that has been done on my Van in the course of time.
Early July 2003 the Van developed some problems where
selection of gears was concerned. This wasn't limited to a
specific gear; all gears at time were a lot harder to select.
Initial diagnosis indicated that the clutch slave cylinder was
suspect of not having enough travel anymore. A date was set to
fix this, but alas the Van didn't make it that far. A few days
later, while gearing down on the highway something went really
wrong. The engine had seized up, but the car would move back and
forth with no problem, even when a gear was selected.
Turned out the clutch-plate had disintegrated and had damaged the clutch-housing.
Further investigation showed that this was a result of the seizure of the primary gear (front) bearing.
This can be fixed by replacing the bearing, but this involves some machining and results may vary. So instead a new drop gear set was installed, this time a Jack Knight Straight Cut set. Normally very expensive stuff, but I got it relatively cheap :)
In June/July 2000 the engine decided it had done enough. First
the gearbox packed it in (See my B-L-B
report), followed by the valve on cylinder #3 burning just
after the IMM. And a
week after the head was fully reconditioned I lost almost all
functionality from cylinder #4.
As the pictures below show part of it was missing. Luckily the head hadn't sustained any damage. As the engine had already done about 70.000mls we decided to drop a new unit in. Hopefully this will mean the end of it for a while...
In February 2000 I heard a 'new' rattle coming from the
timing-cover side of the engine. First thought the pulley was
vibrating, so we spot welded it in place.
Rattle was still there though, so the timingchain was checked and it appeared that the tensioner had broken. So the pulley and tensioner were changed and on my way I was.